- The Annals of Wei: Selected Translations from the Sān Guó zhì of Chén Shòu with the Commentary of Péi Sōngzhī (Ebook, 2020 Mar 15)
- Last Emperor: Selected Translations from the Hòu Hàn shū of Fàn Yè with the Commentary of Lǐ Xián (Ebook, 2020 Mar 15)
- The Lords of Shǔ: Selected Translations from Chen Shou’s Records of the Three Kingdoms with Pei Songzhi’s Commentary (coming 2023?)
- The Lords of Wú: Selected Translations from Chen Shou’s Records of the Three Kingdoms with Pei Songzhi’s Commentary (coming 2029?)
- (The Other Branch of the Imperial Clan, Part II, coming 2022)
- Zhōng Huì (published 2020 Dec 25)
- The Other Branch of the Imperial Clan: The Xiàhóu Clan of the Wèi Dynasty, Part I (published 2020 Jun 13)
- The Fifth of May: The Death of Sun Ce (published 2020 May 5)
- An Introduction to the End of Hàn and the Three Kingdoms (published 2019 Mar 15)
- The Hundred Offices of Wei and Jin (first published 2018)
- The Two Xun: The Contributions of Xun Yu and Xun You to the Foundations of Wei (first published 2017)
- The Strategists Pang and Fa: The Contributions of Pang Tong and Fa Zheng to the Foundations of Shu (first published 2017)
You can donate (not tax deductible) to cover our web hosting costs. Alternatively, please consider our books or our newsletter premium subscriptions as a much better value return for you: cover our web hosting costs and get something nice for yourself.
From 2018 to 2020, this site was also supported via Patreon. Following changes to Patreon’s terms of service and charging system, we closed this Patreon and moved donations directly to the website.
Nevertheless, it was through the generous donations of our Patrons that we were able to keep the site going during that time and eventually self-publish our first book, and they deserve special mention here.
Old Patreon introduction:
All proceeds from Patreon goes toward either 1) paying present and future web hosting costs, or 2) saving up toward future projects.
Yang Shaoshi 楊少史 is the pen name 筆名 of a private historian, writer, and translator producing translations of the Chinese historical text Sānguózhì 三國志, or “Three State Records.” The aim of these translations is to serve as a source for pop historians and dedicated amateurs and students to dive into Chinese history without having to learn the Literary Chinese 文言文 language first.
Though some amateur translations already exist, many are inconsistent in their translation conventions, and a few contain small translation errors that have perpetrated a large number of misconceptions about the time period. This translator, with over 5 years experience in the study of Classical Chinese texts, is committed to researching down to every last word in order to deliver accurate translations with as few errors as possible, all with a common shared set of translation conventions.
2019 Priorities: The completion of a full translation of SGZ 1-4, for publication in time to commemorate the 1800 year anniversary of the Death of Emperor Wǔ and the Founding of Wèi in 220. The base translation is complete, and current work is focused on polishing, annotation, and creating maps and figures.
(Products Page Last updated 2022 March 22)