Guǎn Lù appellation Gōngmíng was a Píngyuán man. His appearance was coarse and ugly, without majestic appearance and he was addicted to alcohol, when drinking and eating he spoke and joked, not discriminating those not of his class, and therefore many liked him but did not respect him. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lù was aged eight to nine years, and enjoyed looking up at the stars, and when finding someone he would ask their names, in the night he would not agree to sleep. His father and mother always forbade him, but yet could not stop him. He said of himself: “Though my years are few, yet my eyes love looking at Heaven’s patterns.” He always said: “The house’s chickens and the field’s swans, yet still are aware of the seasons, so all the more for people?” He with his neighborhood children together played in the soil, and at once drew on the ground Heaven’s patterns and the sun and moon and stars. Every time he answered something or spoke of matters, his speech was out of the ordinary, and the scholars and elders could not beat him, and all knew he would have greatly unusual talent. When he was an adult, he indeed understood the Zhōu Yì, looking out, wind observation, divination, and appraisal methods, none were not refined and profound. His bodily nature was wide and large, with much he could bear; he did not hate those who detested him, did not praise those who liked him, every time wishing to use virtue to repay enmity. He always said: “Loyalty, filial piety, faith, righteousness, are humanity’s foundational root, it cannot be not thick; incorruptibility and precision are the serviceman’s ornamentation, not worth attending to.” He said of himself: “Those who understand me are few, and so I am noble. How is one able to cut off the flow of the Jiāng and Hàn for the clarity of a stone in the rapids? Happy to with Jìzhǔ discuss the way, not wishing to with Yúfù share a boat; this is my ambition.” Thus he served his father and mother with filial piety, was sincere to elder and younger brothers, obedient and loving to scholars and friends, all with benevolence and harmony issuing in, to the end without fault. Scholars [who appraised] good and bad in the end also submitted. His father became Lángyé’s Jíqiū Chief, at the time he was fifteen, and coming and arriving at the office residences he read books. He began reading the Shī, Lúnyǔ and Yì at first, and then opened the profound and spread brush, his written meanings remarkable. At the time at the school there were students from afar and within the state of over four hundred people, and all submitted to his talent. Lángyé Administrator Dān Zǐchūn always had talent and judgment, heard Lù was greater than the whole school, and wished to meet him, and Lù’s father at once sent Lù to go to him. At a great gathering of guests and retainers of over a hundred people, among the seated were scholars skilled in speech, Lù asked Zǐchūn: “Your administrator-ship’s famed scholars, all have stalwart and noble appearances, I in years am younger, my guts are not yet strong and firm, and if I wish to appraise and observe, I fear I will lose vitality in thought, I request to first drink three shēng of pure liquor, and afterward speak to them.” Zǐchūn was greatly pleased, and so provided three shēng of pure liquor, alone having him drink it. After the liquor was finished, he asked Zǐchūn: “Now the one you wish to have face me is who among the scholars seated around your administrator-ship?” Zǐchūn said: “I wish to personally with you face banner and drum.” Lù said: “I have only just read the Shī, Lún, and Yì‘s basics, my learning is small and shallow, and not yet able to above draw the sagely man’s ways, or explain the matters of Qín and Hàn, and only wish to discuss the feelings of the spirits of metal, wood, water, fire, earth.” Zǐchūn said: “This is the most difficult, but you believe it is the easiest?” Therefore he spoke of the principles of great discussions, and then through to Yīn and Yáng, patterns and colors and flower flows, branches and leaves unrestrained in growth, rarely citing sagely registers, often speaking of the nature. Zǐchūn and his mass of scholars together attacked, discussing criticisms and advancing, but Lù person by person answered, his words all in abundance. Reaching to the sun setting, the liquor and food stopped. Zǐchūn said to everyone: “This youth is flourishing in talent and ability, listening to his speech, is just like Sīmǎ Quánzǐ’s rhapsody on roaming and hunting, such large and stout heroic grandeur, outstanding spirit in abundance, he certainly is able to understand heaven’s patterns and earth’s reasoning transformation calculations, it was not a false report.” Therefore he spread word in Xú province, calling him Shéntóng (“divine youth” or “child prodigy.”)
His father became Lìcáo [Magistrate], Lìcáo civilians Guō Ēn and his brothers three people all had leg crippling illnesses, and had Lú stalk divine the cause. Lù said: “In the hexagram is your home tomb, in the tomb is a girl’s ghost, it is not father’s elder brother’s wife, it is your father’s younger brother’s wife. In the past in an era of famine, to gain several shēng of rice, you pushed her into a well, she called out, you pushed in one large stone, to fall down to crush her head, her lonely soul is pained in the injustice, pleading her case to Heaven.” Therefore [Guō] Ēn shed tears and admitted guilt. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lìcáo civilian Guō Ēn appellation Yìbó had talent and learning, was good with the Zhōu Yì and Chūnqiū, and also able to look up and observe [Heaven’s signs]. Lù with Yìbó read the Yì, and in several tens of days, his thinking was then developed, [but] said it was difficult to surpass his teacher. At this he split stalks to divine hexagrams, used thinking refined and profound, to divine of the students in the school which would become ill and die or poor and rich or grieve and decline, ever was without mistakes, and none were not astonished and marveled, calling him a divine man. Also he followed Yìbó in studying looking up observations, in thirty days through the night he did not lie down, and said to Yìbó: “You only need say where the village locations are, as for the coinciding of shifting fortunes, discussions of calamities and strangeness, it will come from my own natural share.” His studies were not yet a year, when Yìbó in reverse from Lù asked about the Yì and Heaven’s Signs’ critical affairs. Yìbó every time listening to Lù’s speech, never once did not pushing aside tables to defer to him. He himself said: “When ascending to hear your utmost discussions, I forget my serious illnesses, enlightened and ignorant cannot reach each other, how far apart they are!” Yìbó set up as a host, only inviting Lù, told him about his sufferings, himself saying: “My brothers and I three people all obtained a leg crippling illness, not knowing what is the reason. Try appraising it by making hexagrams, to know what is the cause. If there is a calamity, Heaven’s way pardons Men, you should for me pray for fortune to the divine intelligence, do not be begrudging. If we brothers all walk, this would be to be reborn.” Lù then made hexagrams, considered it and was not yet clear. It happened the sun set, and therefore he stayed for the night, and reaching to the middle of the night, he said to Yìbó: “I have found it.” When he spoke of the matter, Yìbó grieved and his tears stained his clothes, saying: “At Imperial Hàn’s end, there truly was this matter. You did not name it as a taboo. I could not speak out of courtesy. We brothers have been crippled for over thirty years, legs like thorns, and cannot be again treated, I only hope it does not reach our descendants.” Lù said: “Fire form is not cut off, water form is without remainder, it will not reach your posterity.”
Guǎngpíng’s Liú Fènglín’s wife was seriously ill, already purchased coffin equipment. At the time it was the Standard Moon, had Lù divine, and he said: “Fate is at the time of the Eighth Moon Xīnmǎo day.” Lín said it was certainly not so, but his wife gradually recovered, reaching to autumn again worsened, all as Lù had said. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Bào Zǐchūn was Lièrén Magistrate, had enlightened thinking and talent in reasoning, and with Lù met one another, saying: “One hears that you for Liú Fènglín divined the date of his wife’s death, how very detailed and profound, discuss its meanings as a test.” Lù discussed the purposes of the line images, spoke of the meaning of their changes, like a compass circle or ruler square, none not unified. Zǐchūn himself said: “I when young enjoyed discussing the Yì, and also was good at dividing stalks [for divination], and can be called a blind man wishing to see white and black, a deaf man wishing to hear purity and impurity, laboring bitterly without achievement. After listening to you speak, looking at my own form, truly I am troubled.”
Lù went to meet Ānpíng Administrator Wáng Jī, Jī ordered him to make hexagram divination, Lù said: “There will be a lowly wife, begetting one male child, falling to the ground it will then run into the stove and die. Also above the bed will be one large serpent biting a pen, large and small will all see it, and suddenly it will leave. Also a crow will come inside the room, fight with a swallow, the swallow will die and the crow will leave. There are these three strange things.” [Wáng] Jī was greatly alarmed, and asked of the good and bad luck. Lù said: “It is only guests being far away for a long time, and demons and monsters making strangeness. A child born and then running, it cannot on its own run, it is only Sòng Wújì’s phantom causing it to enter the stove. A large snake biting a pen, is only an old writing assistant. A crow fighting a swallow, is only an old bell falling. Now looking into the hexagram divination one seems the images but does not see bad luck, one knows it is not a sign of phantom misfortunes, and there is nothing to worry about.” Later in the end there were no misfortunes. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: [Wáng] Jī with Lù together discussed the Yì for several days and greatly believed it a joy, speaking to Lù saying: “We have both heard of each other’s excellence in divination, and should together have pure discussion. You are the whole time’s unusual talent, and should be written on bamboo and silk.” Lù for Jī produced hexagrams, knew he was without misfortune, and therefore said to Jī: “In the past Gāozōng’s tripod was not produced by a pheasant, Yīn’s ramps and halls were not born of wood, but a wild bird’s one call, Wǔ Dīng became Gāozōng, mulberries and grain temporarily was produced, Tài Wū by this rose. Knowing that these three things were not auspicious omens, may your administrator-ship care for yourself and nourish virtue, be at ease and prosper, and not due to understanding the spirits and treachery defile and strain nature.”
At the time the Xìndū Magistrate’s family’s women were afraid, each mutually falling ill, had Lù stalk divine it. Lù said: “Your north hall west head has two dead males, one male holding spear, one male holding bow and arrow, the head inside the walls, the legs outside the walls. The one holding spear controls stabbing head, and therefore the head is heavy and aches and cannot be lifted. The one holding bow and arrow controls shooting abdomen, and therefore the insides hang in pain and cannot drink or eat. In the day they then wander, at night they come to infect people, and therefore causes the fear.” Therefore they dug out and moved the skeletal remains, and those in the house all healed. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Wáng Jī at once sent Xìndū Magistrate to move and dig inside the room, entering the ground by eight chǐ, and indeed found two coffins, in one coffin there was a spear, in one coffin there was a horn bow and arrows, the arrows were very old, the wood had all decomposed away, but there were metal and horn preserved. When moving the skeletal remains, from the city by ten lǐ they buried them, and there was no more illness. Jī said: “When young I enjoyed reading the Yì, trifling with it for a long time, not knowing that the divine intelligence’s calculations were as profound as this.” He then followed Lù in studying the Yì and investigating and discussing Heaven’s signs. Lù every time in opening the transformation images, practicing the omens of good and bad fortune, never once was it not fine and detailed, exhaustive in its vigor and spirit. Jī said: “First hearing your words, how could I understand it, and in the end it was all chaotic. This is surely given by Heaven, and not by men’s strength.” Therefore he put away the Zhōu Yì, cut off from thinking of it, and did not again study matters of divination by stalks. Lù’s hometown’s Nǎi Tàiyuán asked Lù: “In the past you discussed the strange for administrator Wáng, saying the old document assistant became snake, the old bell bottom became a crow, these originally all were men, how could they transform to lowliness? Is what is seen in the line images produced by your thoughts?” Lù said: “If one’s nature is not of Heaven’s Way, how can one turn back on line images and install what is in one’s heart? The transformations of all things, are without constant appearances, and men’s variations are without constant forms. Some large become small, some small become large, assuredly without good or bad. The transformations of all things is the of the same way. Therefore Xià Gǔn was the father of Heaven’s Son, Zhào King [Liú] Rúyì was Hàn Zǔ’s [Liú Bāng’s] son, but Gǔn became a yellow bear, Rúyì became a blue dog, these also were the positions of the utmost honored and yet of the class of common beasts. All the more the snake harmonizing with the position of Chén and Sì, the crow perching in the sun’s essence, this then is the souring black’s brilliant image, the white sun’s flowing sunlight, like a document assistant and bell bottom each due to humble body transforming into snake and crow, is it not also excessive!”
Qīnghé’s Wáng Jīng left office and returned home, Lù met with him. Jīng said: “Recently there is a strangeness, I greatly not happy about it, and wished to bother you to make a hexagram.” The hexagram was completed, and Lù said: “The lines are fortunate, not strange. You in the night were in front of the hall doors, there was a ray of light like a swallow goblet, entering into your bosom, abundant and with sound, your inner spirit was not at ease, untying robes and roaming, calling out to your wife, searching for residual light.” Jīng greatly laughed and said: “Truly it is as you say.” Lù said: “The fortune is a sign of promotion in office. Its answer will arrive.” Shortly afterward, Jīng became Jiāngxià Administrator. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: [Wáng] Jīng wished to have Lù divine, but had words of doubt and criticism, Lù laughed and reprimanded him saying: “Your lordship is an intelligent man in your hometown, why speak so basely? In the past Sīmǎ Jìzhǔ had a saying, that divination certainly imitates Heaven and Earth, images the four seasons, complies with benevolence and righteousness. Fú Xī made the eight trigrams, Zhōu Wén-wáng the three hundred eighty four lines, and Heaven’s Under was governed. The ill were thus healed, the near death thus lived, the unfortunate thus escaped, affairs thus were achieved, marrying off daughters and taking wives thus led to births, how is it worth a few thousand coins? By this speaking of it, it is an urgent task. If explaining it was obvious, sages would not yield, so all the more for my petty person, dare I criticize?” Yànwěi restrained hands and apologized to Lù: “My previous words were only to tease you.” Therefore Lù for him hexagrams, and his words were all verified. Jīng in every time discussing Lù, believed he had obtained the essence of a dragon cloud, able to nourish harmony and comprehend the hidden, not only a talent able to join opportunities.
Lù also reached Guō Ēn’s house, there was a flying turtledove that came and was on a beam head, its call extremely sorrowful. Lù said: “There will be an old man from the east that comes, carrying a pig of one head and liquor of one jar. Though the host is happy, there will be a small problem.” The next day there was indeed a guest, as he had divined. Ēn had the guest limit his liquor, abstain from meat, be cautious of fire, and shoot a chicken for food, the arrow from in the tree fell and hit the hand of a girl several years old, shedding blood and surprising [her]. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: [Guō] Yìbó from Lù learned to make bird calls, Lù said: “Though you enjoy the way, your innate talent is little, and you also do not understand tuning, and I fear it will be difficult to be your teacher.” Lù for him explained the changes of the eight winds, the math of the five notes, with the tuning scale made the sounds of the numerous birds, the six shells as the ends of the day, repeatedly reprimanding wrongs, going out and in without end. Yìbó was quiet and thoughtful, devoting his energy for several days, and in the end was without gains. Yìbó said: “Talent cannot surpass what is given, it is difficult to pursue to here.” Therefore he stopped.
Lù reached Āndé Magistrate Liú Chángrén’s house, there was a magpie that came and was on top of the house, its sound extremely anxious. Lù said: “The magpie says that in the northeast there was a woman who yesterday killed her husband, framing the west [neighboring] family’s husband. Watch for within a few days, report will arrive.” Reaching the time, indeed there was from the northeast a commoner came to report that a neighboring woman hand killed her husband, falsely saying: “The west family with my husband had a quarrel, and came and killed my husband.” (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Bóhǎi’s Liú Chángrén had talent in debate, previously though he heard Lù was able to make bird calls, later every time they met he would criticize Lù saying: “The sound of living people is called speech, the noise of beasts and birds is called calls, therefore speech is the noble spirit of having knowledge, calls are the lowly name of lacking knowledge, why then take bird calls as speech, disordering what the divine intelligence has distinguished? Kǒng-zǐ said: ‘I will not with the birds and beast share flock,’ meaning they are lowly.” Lù replied: “Heaven though has great images it yet cannot speak, therefore it transfers star essence above, flows divine intelligence below, using wind and cloud to reveal differences, conscripting birds and beasts to communicate thought. Revealing differences certainly has watching for floating and pouring, communicating thought certainly has answering of sound notes, and therefore when Sòng Xiāng lost virtue, the six hawks together retreated, when Bó Jī was about to burn, birds sang of the disaster, when Sìguó was not yet fiery, the melting wind had already issued, when red birds wedged the sun, calamity was in Jīng-Chǔ. These then were what Upper Heaven had sent, self natural clear signs. Examining them the tuning scale then is the root of note and tone, seeking them human affairs then good and bad fortune is not mistaken. In the past of Qín Zǔ, for achievement he received fief, Gě Lú heard sound, written in the Chūnqiū, these all are truths in the canon, not a sage’s empty name. When Shāng was about to rise, it came by one swallow’s egg. When Wén-wáng received the mandate, a cinnabar bird bit a letter, these then were the sage’s spiritual auspicious signs, the Zhōu house’s glorious blessings, what lowliness is there? To listen to bird calls, the essence is in quail flames, profoundness in the eight spirits, surely not of this order, yet like Zǐ Lù coming back to life.” Chángrén said: “Though your words are abundant, it is flowery but without fruit, and one does not yet dare trust it.” Very quickly there was the proof of the calling magpie, and Chángrén then submitted.
Lù arrived at Lined People Manager of Agriculture Wánghóng Zhí’s invitation, there was a whirlwind in height over three chǐ, extending vertically up, in the courtyard dancing and rotating, rested and again rose, for a long time and then stopped. Zhí about this asked Lù, Lù said: “In the east there will be a horsed clerk arriving, I fear a father weeping for son, how about it?” The next day a Jiāodōng clerk arrived, Zhí’s son had indeed died. Zhí asked the rason, Lù said: “That day was a Yǐmǎo, then that was the sign for an eldest son. Wood falls in Shēn, Dǒu establishes Shēn, Shēn breaks Yǐn, the sign of death and mourning. The sun adds Wǔ and wind blows, then is the sign of a horse. Lí is written, then is the sign of a clerk. Shēn does not yet become Hǔ, Hǔ becomes Dàrén, then is the sign of a father.” There was a male pheasant flying that came, went up inside Zhí’s bell pillar’s head, Zhí greatly because of this was not at ease, and had Lù make a hexagram, Lù said: “Reaching the fifth moon you will certainly be promoted.” At the time it was the third moon, and reaching the time, Zhí indeed became Bóhǎi Administrator. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lù also said: “Wind in time moving, lines by image answer, time is driven by spirits, images in time take form, one time in this way, is not sufficient to be trouble.” Wánghóng Zhí also greatly had learning, had skills, but all was not able to be refined. He asked Lù: “Then can you surmise wind’s changes?” Lù said: “This is only the wind’s hairs, how is it enough to be unusual? If the lines of constellations are not held, the mass of spirits in chaos move, the eight winds harshly rise, angered aura and lightning flying, mountains collapsing and stones flying, trees broken and overturned, raising dust across ten thousand lǐ, looking up and not seeing the sky, birds and beasts hiding and fleeing, multitudes of people astonished and alarmed, therefore causes the cautious sorts to ascend high towers, watch the wind and auras, distinguish disasters and strangeness, dating times and days, and afterward understands divine thinking and the distant and remote, spirit winds can be feared.”
Guǎntáo Magistrate Zhūgě Yuán was promoted to Xīnxīng Administrator, Lù went on the road give him a farewell banquet, the guest retainers together gathered. [Zhūgě] Yuán personally rose and took a swallow egg, wasp nest, and spider inside a vessel, and had him guess the contents. The hexagram was completed, and Lù said: “The first thing, contains vitality and waits to change, depends on its room and hall, by male and female takes form, wings relaxing and spreading, it is a swallow egg. The second thing, the family house hangs upside down, its doors are very numerous, hidden essence raising poisons, reaching autumn it then transforms, this is a wasp nest. The third thing, trembles with long legs, spitting silk to complete net, searching the net to seek food, benefits in the dark night, it is a spider.” All the seated were surprised and pleased. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Zhūgě Yuán appellation Jǐngchūn, also was a scholar. He enjoyed divination, repeatedly with Lù together made divination checks, was unable to reach him. Jǐngchūn with Lù had difference in reputation, and therefore when Lù gave him a farewell banquet, there were many guests of high discussion. Of the various people many had heard he was good at divination and [astrology] observation, did not know he had greatly unusual talent, and therefore first with Lù together discussed the origins of the sage’s written works, and also conversed of the signs of the Five Emperors and Three Kings receiving the Mandate. Lù understood Jǐngchūn’s subtle intentions, and therefore opened up the battlefield, showing lack of firmness, concealment and lone weakness, to wait for the coming attack. Jǐngchūn fled in defeat, the military masters were broken and beaten, themselves saying ‘I see your banners,’ the city walls and moats are already broken. Their soldiers that wished to battle, at this sounded drums and horns, raising siege towers, bows and crossbows greatly raising, ivory banners like rain gathering. Afterward he ascended the city walls and shined his power, opening the gates to receive the enemy, above discussing the Five Emperors, like the Jiāng and like the Hàn, below discussing the Three Kings, like quills and like pens; the blossoming was like spring flowers all spreading, the attacking were like autumn winds shedding leaves. The listeners were bewildered, not understanding his meaning, the speakers stopped sound, none not whole-heartedly submitting. Even Bái Qǐ destroying Zhào’s troops, Xiàng Yǔ blocking the Suī river, had nothing to surpass it. At the time the guests all wished to facing bind and bite annulus [in surrender], asking to tie hands below the army drums. Lù yet assembled shield and as a mountain stood, not yet agreeing to it. Reaching the next day, at the time of depature, afterward he accepted belly and heart from beginning to end. All the time’s within the seas eminent scholars were eight to nine people. Cài Yuáncái among his friends had the most pure talent, and among everyone he said: “Originally one heard you would be a dog, how could one imagine you would be a dragon?” Lù said: “Submerged yáng not yet changing, is not what you understand, how is there only a dog? Can one hear a dragon’s sound?” Jǐngchūn said: “Now we are about to distantly separate, later when can we meet? Yet again let us make a divination test.” Lù’s divinations at once were all correct. Jǐngchūn greatly laughed: “You for me explain these hexagram meanings, to relieve my heart’s thoughts.” Lù opened the lines and spread the reasoning, diiding and endowing the image forms, his words subtle and statements joined, the ingenuity unnarratable. Of Jǐngchūn and the mass of guests none did not speak of the beauty of the discussion after listening, surpassing the cheer of the divination checks. Jǐngchūn with Lù took leave, warning him with two things, saying: “You by nature delight in alcohol, your capacity though allows restraint [after beocming drunk], yet it cannot be guarnateed, it is better to be sparing in it. You have the talent of a water mirror, what you see is ingenious, in looking up to observe [the stars] though you divine, disaster is like a grease fire, you cannot be not cautious. Restrict your keen talent, roaming between the Yún and Hàn, do not worry about having no riches or honor.” Lù said: “Alcohol cannot be exhaustive [in drink], talent cannot be thorough [in reveal], I wish to restrict alcohol by ritual, restrict talent with foolishness, what worry is there to have?”
Lù’s elder cousin Xiàoguó resided at Chìqiū, Lù went to follow him, and with two retainers met. After the retainers left, Lù said to Xiàoguó: “These two men between their forehead and mouth and ears both have ominous air, unusual changes will together rise, twin spirits without residence, (1) flowing spirits to the sea, bones returning to house, in a little time they will together die.” After several tens of days, the two men were drinking alcohol and intoxicated, in the night together riding carriage, the ox was startled and went down the road into the Zhāng river, and they all at once drowned to death.
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lù also said: “Thick stench of dry poison, Heaven’s essence hidden in dusk, Water as coffin, Swamp as mourning carriage.”
At this time, in Lù’s neighborhood, outer doors were not closed, and there were no thefts. Qīnghé Administrator Huà Biǎo summoned Lù as a Literary Scholarship Official. Ānpíng’s Zhào Kǒngyào recommended Lù to Jì province Inspector Péi Huī stating: “Lù’s elegant nature is broad and large, with the world without fear, in looking up to observe Heaven’s signs then he is the same ingenuity as Gān Gōng and Shí Shēn, in looking down to read the Zhōu Yì then he is of equal thinking to Jìzhǔ. Now your enlightened Inspectorship is about to send down spirit to remote marshes, leave vitality in nine marshes, Lù should immerse in the dark harmony answers, the time to obtain him with feather ceremony.” [Péi] Huī therefore recruited him as Literary Scholarship Attending Official, summoned him to meet, greatly befriended him. Moved department to Jùlù, promoted Internal Manager Separate Harness.
When he first answered the province’s summons, with his younger brother Jìrú traveling together, reaching Wǔchéng’s west, he divined good or bad fortune for himself, and said to Rú saying: “In the old city I will meet three raccoons, shortly it will be revealed.” Advancing he arrived at Héxī’s former city corner, and exactly saw three raccoons together squatting beside the city wall, the brothers were all pleased.
Zhèngshǐ Ninth Year  nominated as Abundant Talent.
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lù was by Huà [Biǎo, Administrator of] Qīnghé summoned, becoming North School Literary Scholar, the whole time’s scholar friends had none that did not sigh in admiration. Ānpíng’s Zhào Kǒngyào was intelligent and clever and had consideration and memory, with Lù had the sharing of Guǎn and Bào, and therefore from Fāgān came, reaching the prefecture school top and meeting with Lù, saying: “Your belly insides are broad and deep, of former times the dead men are half [comparable], of present living men you are without match. You should leave the coarse and fly high, soaring the vast blue, why are you here? On hearing of your news it caused me to eat without taste. Jì province’s inspectorship Péi’s talent and reasoning is pure and bright, able to explain the dark and empty, every time discussing the Yì and the Dào of Lǎo and Zhuāng, never once was it not as adept as the sort of Yán and Qú. Also he cares for my thinking heavily, one able to understand and trust one another. Now you should therefore go, I have for you explained his sincerity of a emotional tiger opening stones.” Lù said: “I am not a dragon of the four depths, how am I able to have the white sun be dark in daytime? If you are able to move the east winds, raise the morning clouds, my will will not yield.” Therefore he then arrived at Jì province and met his Inspectorship Péi. His inspectorship said: “Why has your countenance weakened and diminished?” [Zhào] Kǒngyào said: “Inside my body there is no illness of drugs and stone, however I saw that within Qīnghē prefecture there is a unicorn, bound and tied in the rear stable for successive years, away from [famed horse appraisers] Wáng Liáng and Bó Lè by a hundred eighty lǐ, unable to gallop heavenly bones, raise windblown dust, and only because of this am I haggard and withered.” His Inspectorship said: “Where is the unicorn now?” Kǒngyáo said: “Píngyuán’s Guǎn Lù appellation Gōngmíng, aged thirty-six, elegant and broad, with the world is without resentments, can be said to be among servicemen stalwart, looking up to observe heaven’s signs then he is of the same ingenuity as Gān Gōng and Shí Shēn, looking down to read the Zhōu Yì then he is able to think equal to Jì Zhǔ, in walking the way and methods, opening spirit without end, he can be said to be among servicemen flowering, carrying Jīng mountain’s unpolished gem, embracing luminous treasure, and yet he is by Qīnghé’s prefecture kept as a North School Literary Scholar, it can make one pained in heart and suffering in head. Your Inspectorship yet wishes to spread refinement through the nine banks, hang down spirit to remote marshes, wishing to have the enlightened ruler to not govern alone, outstanding talent is not for a long time held back, when high winds distantly applied, none are not grasses scattered, it is appropriate to have Lù specially immerse in the answers of yīn harmony, obtaining and reaching to the time of feather ceremonies, he certainly will be able to assist and spread grand cultivation, raising sound across the nine encirclements.
- His Inspectorship Péi heard these words, and then enthusiastically said: “How is it is thus? Though I am in a large province, I have not yet met an unusual talent who could be employed to resolve a person’s depression. I was thinking of returning to the capital, only to obtain one to discuss the Dào with, all the more to hear there was a pure and sublime talent? If we in this way then seek him, do not have the unicorn become an ordinary horse, and Jīng mountain revert to an ordinary stone.” At once he sent summons for Lù to become Literary Scholar Attending Official. Once mutually meeting, they purely conversed to the end of the day, unaware of tiring. At the time the weather was very hot, moved the couch to the courtyard front below a tree, and then reaching to the rooster facing dawn, only afterward did he leave. At the second mutual meeting, then transferred to be Jùlù Attending Official. Third meeting, transferred to Managing Internals. Fourth meeting, transferred to Separate Harness. Reaching to the tenth moon, nominated as Exceptional Talent. Lù took leave of his Inspectorship Péi, his Inspectorship said: “Hé and Dèng the two Secretariat Documenters, have talent and skill to govern states, in matter reasoning there is none not refined. Secretariat Documenter Hé is divinely enlightened and profound, his speech all ingenious, ingenious will probably able to expose autumn hairs [smallest details], you should be careful of him! He personally says he does not understand the Yì’s nine affairs, and will certainly ask you. When you reach Luò, you should well comprehend its reasoning.” Lù said: “If Hé is ingenious, he studies difficult talents, travels the exteriors of appearances, and has not yet entered to the divine. Those that enter to the divine, should stride heaven’s fundamentals, push forward the yīn and yáng, explore the dark and empty, the utmost of remote and revealed, and afterward view the Dào without end, not yet leisurely in detail speak. If one wishes to be next after Lǎo and Zhuāng and yet attend to the lines and images, love details debate and yet raise the floating and flowery, it an be said to be a shooting lord’s skill, not able to expose the profound of the autumn hairs. If the nine matters all reach to explanation, it is not enough to labor one’s thoughts. If it is the yīn and yáng, refining it takes a long time. After I depart, the year’s beginning will have a time of punishment and great wind, the wind certainly will break and destroy trees. If there is issuance from the dry, there certainly will be Heavenly authority, it is not worth sharing pure discussion.”
Twelfth Moon Twenty-Eighth Day, Personnel Division Secretariat Documenter Hé Yàn invited him, Dèng Yáng was with Yàn. Yàn said to Lù: “I hear your stalk divination is divine and profound, try it in one hexagram, to know if my rank will reach the Three Excellencies or not?” He also asked: “I have continuously dreamed of seeing black flies of several tens, coming onto my nose, shooing them they will not leave, what is its meaning?” Lù said: “The flying owl is the world’s lowly bird, reaching to when it is in the woods eating, then it harbors our good sound, all the more when my heart is not grass and tree, dare I not be thoroughly loyal? In the past Yuán and Kǎi in supporting Chónghuá, spread kindness and harmony, Zhōu-gōng in assisting Chéng-wáng, sat and attended to dawn, and therefore were able to spread light across the six directions, and ten thousand states were all tranquil. This then is treading the way’s auspicious answer. It is not what stalk divination reveals. Now your marquiship’s rank is heavy as a mountain, power like thunder and lightning, but those embracing virtue are few, and those fearing authority are many, probably not the benevolence of cautious heart and many fortunes. Also the nose is Gěn, this is the mountain in the skies, (1) high and yet not endangered, is how to long defend nobility. Now black flies smell bad, and yet gather there. The seat that is high falls over, the frivolous of the grand perishes, one cannot not think of the calculations of harming and filling, the phase of flourishing and declining. Therefore the mountain in the ground is called qiān, thunder above the sky is called zhuàng; qiān then is gathering the many to give to the few; zhuàng then is without propriety not treading. There has never been one who decreased self and yet did not shine greater, who acted wrong and yet was not injured and defeated. May your marquiship above pursue the intent of Wén-wáng’s six lines, below consider the meaning of father [Zhòng]ní’s Tuàn and Xiàng, and afterward the Three Excellencies can be reached, the black flies can be shooed away.” [Dèng] Yáng said: “This is master Lǎo’s constant statement.” Lù said: “What master Lǎo saw was not mastered, what constantly called seen was not stated.” [Hé] Yàn said: “Next year we will meet again.” (2) Lù returned to his village residence, and reported all this speech to his maternal uncle, his maternal uncle reproached Lù for speaking too directly. Lù said: “In speaking to dead men, what is there to fear?” His maternal uncle was greatly furious, saying Lù was mad and rebellious. At the year’s beginning, the northwest had great wind, dust covering the sky, in over ten days they heard [Hé] Yàn and [Dèng] Yáng all were executed, and afterward his maternal uncle then submitted. (3)
- (1) Your Servant Sōngzhī comments: Xiāngshū says where the nose is what is in the sky. The nose has the mountain’s image, and therefore it says “the mountain in the sky.”
- (2) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lù was by Hé Yàn invited, and indeed they together discussed the Yì‘s nine matters, the nine matters all revealed. Yàn said: “Your discussion of yīn and yáng, in this world there is no match.” At the time Dèng Yáng was with [Hé] Yàn together seated, [Dèng] Yáng said: “You seem to say you are skilled with the Yì, and yet your speech from beginning has not reached to meaning of the words in the Yì, why is this?” Lù immediately in answer said: “Those skilled with the Yì do not discuss the Yì.” [Hé] Yàn smiled and praised this: “It can be said to be vital words without complexity.” Therefore he invited Lù to make a hexagram. Lù then cited it as warning. [Hé] Yàn apologized to him saying: “Knowing almost this divinity, the ancients believed it difficult; interactions few and yet to speak this sincerity, the present believe it difficult. Now you with one face yet achieve these two difficult ways, and can be said to be enlightened virtue spreading fragrance. Does the Shī not say: ‘inside the heart hide it, on what day can one forget it?'”
- (3) Lù Bièzhuàn states: His maternal uncle Grandee Xià asked Lù: “Formerly on the day you met Hé [Yàn] and Dèng [Yáng], did they already have an ominous aura or not?” Lù said: “When with doomed men together meeting, afterward [I] know the divine intelligence’s interweaving; when with auspicious men drawing close, [I] also know the ingenuity of sagely saints seeking vitality. When Dèng [Yáng]’s walked, then his tendons did not bind his bones, his veins did not maintain his flesh, in rising to stand he leaned, as if without hands or feet, called ‘ghost impatience.’ When Hé [Yàn] looked about, then his spirit did not hold to residence, blood did not give color, vitality and vigor floating as smoke, appearance liked a dried up dead tree, called ‘ghost seclusion.’ Therefore one of ‘ghost impatience’ is by the wind collected, one of ‘ghost seclusion’ is by fire burned. Self-natural correspondence cannot be shielded from.” Lù later therefore obtained a holiday, his inspectorship Péi [Huī] asked: “Hé Píngshū was a generation’s famous talent, what was he really?” Lù said: “His talent was like the water of a basin, what is seen is pure, what is not seen is muddy. His spirit was in the wide and extensive, ambition did not engage in study, not able to become a talent. To wish to with the water of a basin seek the shape of a mountain, the shape cannot be obtained, then wisdom is by this is confused. Therefore in speaking of Lǎo and Zhuāng then he was [too] clever and very flowery, in speaking of the Yì producing meanings then he was [too] beautiful and very false; to be flowery then the ways are floating, to be false then the spirit is empty; in obtaining upper talents then he was shallow and flow cut off, in obtaining middle talents then he wandered and alone went out. I Lù believe he was a talent of few achievements.” His inspectorship Péi said: “Truly it was as your discussion. I repeatedly with Píngshū together spoke of the Lǎo, Zhuāng, and Yì, always feeling his statements were subtle in reasoning, and could not be convinced by them. Also the time’s people absorb his studies, all submitting to it, to all the more have me doubt. Meeting you and obtaining your pure speech, afterward is it all burning clear.”
Previously Lù passed by Wèi prefecture Administrator Zhōng Yù, they together discussed the meanings of the Yì, Lù therefore said: “By divining I can know the date of your birth and death.” Yù had him divine his birth date and month, it was as said without error. Yù was greatly startled, saying: “You can be feared. Death is entrusted to heaven, not entrusted to you.” Therefore they did not again divine. Yù asked Lù: “Will Heaven’s Under have Great Peace or not?” Lù said: “Right now is Four Nine Heaven Flies, beneficial to meet the great man. Divine warfare ascending to establish, the ruler’s way civilizing bright, why worry of no peace?” Yù did not yet understand Lù’s words, very soon Cáo Shuǎng and the rest were executed, then he became aware. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn says: Wèi prefecture Administrator Zhōng Yù was pure and elegant and had talent, criticized Lù’s Yì on over twenty matters, himself believing these were criticisms of utmost proficiency. Lù in answering sound was as an echo, his words without sluggishness, dividing and expanding the line images, the meanings all special and clever. Yù at once apologized to Lù, Lù divined and knew Yù’s birth date and month, Yù was startled and said: “The sagely man shifts spirits and comprehends change, linking and affiliating things, what intelligence is this!” Lù said: “Hidden and clear together change, death and life is of unified way, drawing out the grand utmost, ending and again beginning. Wén-wáng derided life, not believing it a worry. Zhòngní dragged cane, not believing it a fear, the thread complexity of yarrow divination, should be exhaustive in its meanings.” Yù said: “Life is a good thing, death is a bad thing, the divide of sorry and joy, is what I cannot even, and moreover it is entrusted to heaven, not entrusted to you.” Shí Bāo became Yè Manager of Agriculture, with Lù together meeting, asking: “I hear your hometown’s Dí Wényào is able to conceal form, can this be believed?” Lù said: “This is only the calculation of yīn and yáng screening to hide. If one obtains these calculations, then the Four Peaks could be hidden, the River and the sea could be removed, all the more for seven chǐ of form. Traveling within the transformations, scattering the clouds and mists to hide body, spreading metal and water to extinguish traces, the technique is sufficient to with calculation complete, not sufficient to be difficult.” Bāo said: “I wish to hear of this subtlety, and you moreover are skilled in discussing these calculations.” Lù said: “Objects not invigorated do not become spirits, calculations not subtle do not become techniques, therefore vigor is how spirits unite, subtlety is how wisdom coincides. The minute of unity, can by nature be connected, difficult to by speech be discussed. Therefore Lǔ Bān could not explain his hands, Lí Zhū could not explain his eyes. It is not the difficulty of speech. Kǒng-zǐ said: ‘Writing does not exhaust speech,’ it is the delicacy of speech. ‘Speech does not exhaust thought,’ it is the profound of thought. These all are divinely subtle speech. May you raise its main body to verify it. The white sun ascends the sky, shifting scene ten thousand lǐ, nothing not shined. Reaching to entering the earth, the light of one coal cannot be seen. The third fifth full moon, pure brilliance illuminating night, can be from afar seen, reaching to the daytime, the light does not match a mirror’s. Now fleeing the sun and moon certainly is the calculations of yīn and yáng, the calculations of yīn and yáng reach to ten thousand sorts, birds and beasts yet transform, all the more for men! One obtaining the calculations is subtle, obtaining the spirit is alert, not only the living have verification, the dead also have proof. Therefore Dù Bó rode firey aura to flow vitality, Péng Shēng entrusted water transformations to establish form. Therefore the living are able to exit and also able to enter, the dead are able to reveal and also able to hide. This vital aura of things, roaming spirits of transformations, men and ghosts feel one another, the calculations make it so.” Bāo said: “Eyes seeing the reasoning of yīn and yáng do not surpass you, why do you not conceal?” Lù said: “The bird of mountains loves his pure height, not wishing to be a fish of the Jiāng and Hàn [rivers]. The fish of deep ponds enjoys his wetness, and would not change to a bird of soaring winds: by their nature’s difference they are divided and not the same. I myself wish to upright body to illuminate the way, to straighten self to join righteousness, in seeing calculations do not believe it unusual, in knowing techniques do not believe it strange, morning to night studying the minute, industriously reviewing, and so the elements of concealment and enacting the strange, I have no leisure to attend to it.”
Píngyuán Administrator Liú Bīn took seal purse and mountain pheasant feather and put them inside a vessel, had him divine. Lù said: “Inside square outside round, five colors completing markings, holding treasures to maintain faith, going out then there is badge, this is a seal purse. High peaks rocky, there is a bird red bodied, feathered wings dark and yellow, calls not missing dawn, this is a mountain pheasant feather.” Bīn said: “This prefecture government office has continuously had strange occurrences, causing people to fear, what is the reason and cause?” Lù said: “Perhaps because of the chaos of Hàn’s end, troops and horses roused and disturbed, armies and corpses shedding blood, defiling the peaks and mountains, therefore because of the twilight and evening, there are many strange forms. Your enlightened governorship is virtuous and masterly, naturally heaven will bless you, may you calm the hundred officials to spread glory and favor.” (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Former prefecture officer Liú Bīn appellation Língyuán was pure and harmonious and had thought and reasoning, enjoyed the Yì but could not master it. He with Lù met one another, his thoughts were extremely pleased, and he himself said that the annotations to the Yì were nearly finished.
- Lù said: “Now your enlightened governorship desires to labor the spirits not of the world, interweaving with the great ways, truly the season of abundance and beauty. However I Lù believe the urgency of annotating the Yì is the urgency of water and fire. The troubles of water and fire are a one time verification. The pure or muddy of the Yì extends through ten thousand ages, it cannot be not first settled in spirit and afterward bequeath enlightened thought. From [Zhōu-gōng] Dàn reach to the present, listening and selecting sagely discussions, never has the Yì had a single share, how can the Yì be annotated? I Lù do not understand the ancient sages, why placing Qián’s seat to the northwest, Kūn’s seat to the southwest. Qián and Kūn are the images of Heaven and Earth, however Heaven and Earth are the utmost large, the lord and father of the divine intelligences, covering and conveying all things, growing without head, how can they occupy two seats in the same series as the six trigrams? The Xiàng and Tuàn [commentary] of Qián says: ‘Large! is Qián origin, all things provided and begun, then unifiying Heaven.’ This ‘unifying’ is ‘affiliating to,’ in honor none is greater, how does it have a separate seat?”
- Bīn depended on the Yì‘s Xìcí [commentary], all taking its reasoning as annotations, not obtaining its essentials. Lù immediately answered criticisms, the matters all thoroughly analyzed, saying: “The Qián and Kūn are the ancestors of the Yì, the root origin of transformation, now your enlightened governorship in discussing the pure and the muddy have doubts, doubt then is to be without spirit, fear does not correspond with annotating the Yì.”
- Lù from this made a discussion of the ways of the eight trigrams and the essence of the lines and images, greatly discussing opnely, all transformations linked together. What Bīn understood he all believed profound and what he did not understand he all believed divine. He himself said: “Wishing to annotate the Yì for eight years, using thought industriously bitter, going through years without peace, determined to obtain the utmost discussion, my talent does not reach the Yì, I do not begrudge long labor, am pleased to receive valued advice, and like this will rest and stop.”
- He wished to follow Lù in study Shèfù, Lù said: “Now your enlightened governorship emptied spirit into annotating the Yì, and should also cut off thoughts in spiritual yarrow. Spiritual yarrow is the enlightened calculations of the two fundamentals, the hidden contracts of yīn and yáng, enacting it in the way then is to settle the ominous and calamitous under heaven, using it in techniques then is to receive the grand and the fine under heaven. The fine and minute cannot be the Yì.”
- Bīn said: “Using technique is to the Yì near in calculation, and I wish to only seek its extremities. If it is as your discussion, what matter [is appropriate] for this?”
- Kept Lù for five days, with no time for attending to office, only together in pure discussion. Bīn himself said: “I repeatedly with Hé Píngshū discussed the ways of Lǎo and Zhuāng, reaching to vigor spirit flowing far, with transformations spreading about, pure as metal and water, dense as mountains and forests, [yet] he was not your match.”
- Bīn also said: “This prefecture government office has continuously had strange occurances, the strange occurances have many forms, causing people to fear, you seem able to understand this with calculations, what is the reason and cause?”
- Lù said: “That this prefecture was named Píngyuán (“flat plain”) was that originally it was plain (yuán), the mountains without trees or stones, with the earth self-natural; swallowing yīn it could not spit clouds, swallowing yáng it could not arouse wind, yīn and yáng though weak, yet there was minute spirit; minute spirit is not solid, greatly essembly vicious traitors, by their groups mutually rescuing, demons forming groups. Perhaps
- Perhaps because of the chaos of Hàn’s end, troops and horses roused and disturbed, armies and corpses shedding blood, defiling the peaks and mountains, strong spirits were together moved, transformations without constancy, and therefore because of the time of twilight and evening, many have strange forms. In the past Xià Yǔ was cultured and enlightened, not bewildered by yellow dragons, Zhōu Wǔ trusted in timing, not confused by violent winds, now your enlightened governorship is virtuous and masterly, spirit not fearing monstrous, naturaly heaven will bless you, auspicious with nothing not beneficial, may you calm the hundred officials to spready glory and favor.”
- Bīn said: “Hearing your elegant discussion it is near in its reasoning. Every time there is a strange occurance, at once I hear sounds of drums and horns, sometimes seeing the images of bows and swords. By the essence of earth and mountain, the spirit of Bóyǒu, truly able to unite gathering, interfering with enlightened spirit.”
- Bīn also asked Lù: “The Yì says ‘tough strong sincere true, splendor glory daily renewed,’ are these the same or not?’
- Lù said: “Not the same names. Morning dawn is splendor, mid-day is glory.”
- Jìn Zhū Gōng zàn states: Bīn originally named Yán, violated the Jìn Heir-Apparent’s taboo [Sīmǎ Yán], changed it to Bīn. Rank reached Heir-Apparent’s Charioteer. Son Cuì appellation Chúngǔ, Attendant Internal. Next Hóng, appellation Zhōnggǔ, Minsiter of Ceremonies. Next Hàn, appellaiton Zhònggǔ, Minister of Merits. Hàn was pure and clear and had noble memory, fame second to Yuè Guǎng. Hóng’s son Xián, Xú province Inspector. Next Dān, Jìnlíng Inner Scribe. Dān’s son Huī, appellation Zhēncháng, intendant in Dānyáng, becoming the internal restoration’s famed elite.
Qīnghé Magistrate Xú Jìlóng sent someone to go hunting, and had Lù divine what he would obtain. Lù said: “Will take a small beast, and further it does not eat birds, though having claws and teeth, small and not strong, though having markings and patterns, ornamental and not brilliant, not a tiger, not a pheasant, its name is a racoon.” The hunter in the evening returned, and indeed it was as Lù said. Jìlóng took thirteen kinds of things, put them in a large box, and had Lù divine. He said: “Inside the vessel overall are thirteen kinds of things.” First he said a chicken egg, later explained silkworm pupa, and so on one by one naming them, only [mistaking] a comb for a loquat. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Qīnghé Magistrate Xú Jìlóng appellation Kāimíng had talent and ingenuity, with Lù met one another, together discussing [the saying] ‘when a dragon moves then scenic clouds rise, when tigers growl then valley winds arrive,’ believing “the Huǒ star [Alpha Scorpio] is the dragon, and the Shēn stars [Alpha Orionis] is the tiger, Huǒ goes out then clouds answer, Shēn goes out then wind arrives, this then is the influence of yīn and yáng, not what dragons and tigers attract.” Lù said: “In discussing difficulties one should first examine its basics, afterward seek its reasoning, if reasoning is faulty then engineering is erroneous, engineering erroneous then is the master of honor and disgrace. If one takes Shēnxīng as a tiger, then valley winds would be an even more cold and freezing wind, a cold and freezing wind is not the name of the east wind. Therefore the dragon is of yáng essence, taking the submerged as yīn, the hidden spirit above connects, harmonizing aura and moving spirit, two things supporting each other, and therefore able to raise clouds. The tiger is yīn essence residing in yáng, depending on wood to expand growls, moving to Xùn woods, two auras moving each other, and therefore able to shift winds. If using magnetic stone to seek metals, without seeing its spirit yet the metal on its own comes, it has summoning answer to move one another. All the more the dragon having transformation of submerged and flying, the tiger having transformation of markings, incurring clouds and summoning winds, how is it enough to doubt?” Jìlóng said: “The dragon in the depths is does not pass the bottom of a well, a tiger’s sorrowful growl does does not pass further than a hundred bù, form aura shallow and weak, what is reached is the near, how can it condense scenic clouds and drive east winds?” Lù said: “You do not see yīn and yáng igniting in the palm of your hand, the form does not leave the hand, then above draws the fire of greatest yáng, below draws the water of greatest yīn, between breaths, smoking light is gathered. If essence auras move one another, hanging images answer to two ignitions; if not moving one another, then is ‘two women together residing, the wills are not mutually obtained.’ [line in the Yì] The way of the self-natural is without the far or the near.” Jìlóng said: “The era has military matters, then it moves chickens and pheasants to first call, what causes their ways? Again having another divination, is it only in chickens and pheasants and nothing more?” Lù said: “Noble people having matters, the answers are in heaven, in heaven then is the sun and moon and stars. Troops moving and people sorrowful, the answers are in things, in things then is mountains and woods and birds and beasts. Chicken are the livestock of Duì, metal is the essence of troops, pheasants are the bird of Lí, beasts are the spirit of warfare, therefore when Tàibái [Venus] raises splendor then chickens call, when Yínghuò [Mars] flows on then pheasants are alarmed, each moved by calculations and moving. Also the spiritual way of troops is spread in Liùjiǎ, Liùjiǎ shifts, its divination is without constancy. Therefore at Jìnjiù the oxen roared and indeed there was a western army, at Hóngjiā the stones drummed, calling then there were troops, not only nearby to the chickens and pheasants.” Jìlóng said: “Lǔ Zhāo-gōng Eighth Year [534 BC] there was a stone that spoke in Jìn, Shīkuàng believed that enacting affairs was not timely, that complaints and slanders were moving among the people, so that something that did not speak yet spoke. Was this reasoning correct or not?” Lù said: “Jìn [Duke] Píng was extravagant, raising and decorating palace residences, cutting down forests and trees, breaking apart metal and stone, the people’s strength was exhausted, complaints reaching the mountains and ponds, spirits pained and people moved, two essences together created, metal and stone uniting aura, then transformed into mouth and tongue, the strangeness of mouth and tongue, moved in a spirit stone. The zhuàn states: ‘Disparage the hundred surnames, decorate the city walls, then metal does not follow leather.’ This is the saying.” Jìlóng respected and praised, keeping Lù through several days. Lù divined a hunt and was verified, Jìlóng said: “Though you are divine and profound, yet do not collect many things, how are you able to all know of them?” Lù said: “I with Heaven and Earth share spirit, yarrow and toirtoise communicate with spirits, embrace Sun and Moon and roam the dim and dark, reaching transformations and viewing the not yet occurred, all the more these nearby objects, are they able to screen intelligence?” Jìlóng greatly laughed: “Since you are not modest, you also will lose the near.” Lù said: “You have not once yet recognized modest speech, how are you able to discuss the ways? Heaven and Earth are then the hexagrams of Qián and Kūn, yarrow and turtle then are the calculations of divination, Sun and Moon are the images of Lí and Kǎn. Transformations are the lines of yīn and yáng. Dim and dark are the origins of spiritual transformation, the not yet occurred then are the antecedent of the remote darkness, these all are the ordered webs of the Zhōu Yì, how am I not modest?” Jìlóng therefore took thirteen kinds of things, wishing to defeat him, Lù in guessing them was all correct. Jìlóng then sighed and said: “A composer is called sagely, a conveyor is called enlightened; what to call this?”
Lù accompanied the army going west, passed below Guànqiū Jiǎn’s tomb, leaned on a tree and sorrowfully groaned, his vitality not happy. Someone asked his reason, Lù said: “Though the forests and trees are luxuriant, no form can last; though the stele eulogy is beautiful, no posterity can be maintained. Xuánwǔ hides head, Cānglóng without feet, Báihǔ bites corpses, Zhūqué grieves and weeps, the four dangers thus prepared, law will exterminate clan. In no more than two years, its answer will arrive.” In the end it was as said.
Later he obtained leave, passed Qīnghé’s Administrator Ní. At the time was drought, Ní asked Lù when it would rain, Lù said: “This evening it will rain.” At the time the sun was shining and parching, clear day without forms [of clouds], the office deputies and directors were seated, and all said it was not so. Reaching the strike of one, the stars and moon all vanished, wind and clouds all rose, and indeed became fast rain. Therefore Ní greatly prepared a host’s ceremonies, and together made merry. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: Lù with Ní [Administrator of] Qīnghé met one another, and at once he predicted the time of rain, Ní still did not yet believe it. Lù said: “That the creator of change is able to be a god, is to not hurry and yet be fast, to not go and yet arrive. Sixteenth Day Rénzǐ, directly filled, the Bì star’s center already has water aura, the issuing of water aura, moves to Mǎochén, this is the answer of certain arrival. Also Heaven yesterday dispatched summons on the Five Planets, spreading out star symbls, stabbing down to east Jǐng [constellation], reporting command to south Jī [constellation], sending to summon the Thunder Lord, Lightning Mother, Wind Elder, Rain Master, the various peaks spit out yīn, the multitudes of streams arouse essence, Yúnhàn [Milky Way] bequeaths moisture, Jiāolóng swallows spirits, shining shining red lightning, spitting and chewing dim and dark, flourishing thunder, breahing rain essence, flying valley winds, the Six Directions all the same, between coughing and spitting, grading objects in flowing form. Heaven has constant timing, the way has the self-natural, not enough to be difficult.” Ní said: “The speech is high but the faith is little, may we impose on you.” Therefore he then kept Lù and went to invite the office deputy and Qīnghé Magistrate. If in the night it rained then they would feast on two hundred jīn of calf meat, if it did not rain he would stay ten days. Lù said: “Do not go back on your words!” From day toward evening, there was no cloud aura, everyone all scoffed at Lù, Lù said: “Atop the trees already there are the young girl [west] winds, between the trees there are yīn birds harmonizing calls. Also the young boy [northeast] wind rises, the multitudes of birds harmonizing flight, the answer has arrived.” Immediately indeed there were gèn [northeast] winds and calling birds. The sun had not yet set, the southeast had a mountain cloud as a tower rising. After evening, thunder shook the heavens. Reaching the strike of one, the stars and moon all vanished, winds and clouds all rose, dark aura on four sides joined, great rain as a river poured. Ní provoked Lù saying: “It is only a mistaken accuracy, it is not divine.” Lù sad: “Mistaken accuracy with Heaven’s timing, is it not also a labor?”
Zhèngyuán Second Year , his younger brother Chén spoke to Lù saying: “The General-in-Chief [Sīmǎ Shī or Sīmǎ Zhāo] treats you with generous intentions, do you hope for riches and honor?” Lù had a long sigh and said: “I personally understand there are limits, however Heaven gave me talent and enlightenment, not giving me years of life, I fear between forty seven and eight, I will not see my daughters married off and my sons marry. If I am able to escape this, I wish to be a Luòyáng Magistrate, and can have the roads be without picking up lost things, beating drums not sound. Yet I fear I will go to Tàishān to govern the ghosts, and will not be able to govern living people, what of it?” Chén asked his reason, Lù said: “Atop my forehead is without growing bone, my eyes are without holding vitality, my nose without bridge, my feet without root, my back without the three plates, my belly without the three sizes, this all are proof of not being long-lived. Also my life began in the Yín [moon], and also on the night of a lunar eclipse I was born. Heaven has constant calculations, and cannot be violated, only men do not know. I from beginning to end have appraised the dead of over a hundred people, and generally been without mistake.” That year Eighth Moon, became Minister Treasurer’s Deputy. Next Year Second Moon died, his years forty-eight. (1)
- (1) Lù Biézhuàn states: He had enlightened talent, encountered the shifting of vermillion yáng, at the time his fame and influence were awe-inspiring and abundant, like fire in fierceness and wind in speed. Of scholars of the same street, none did not like branches attach and leaves connect. The guest reatiners like clouds, and without care of how many they all were given food. The guests without care of noble or lowly he inquired after with courtesy. The capital city crowded continuoulsy, not only disciples subitting to his fame and influence and nothing more, but also embracing his virtue. If he had not prematurely died, Lù’s glory and splendor would not be what the world could measure. His younger brother Chén once wished to follow Lù in studying divination and looking up to observe matters, Lù said: “You cannot be taught. In divination those not of utmost vitality cannot see its calculations, those not of utmost ingenuity cannot observe its ways. The Xiàojīng, Shī and Lún are enough to become the Three Excellencies, there is no use in knowing this [diviation].” Therefore he then stopped. Of his junior relatives there were none able to pass on his techniques. Chén’s narration states: “The scholars of Jìn and Wèi saw that Lù’s ways and techniques were divine and ingenious, his divinations verified without mistakes, believing he had calculations from secret books and image shells. I Chén in every time seeing Lù’s books and narratives, there were only the Yì Lín, Fēng Jué, and Niǎo Míng, Yǎng Guàn Xīng, books of over thirty scrolls, what all the world has. However Lù alone in the Minister Treasurer Office Residences was without family members and junior relatives accompanying him, at the time of his death, those that enjoyed the strange and did not mourn stole Lù’s books, only leaving the Yì Lín, Fēng Jué, Niǎo Míng books back. Technique calculations have a hundred and several tens of schools, their books are in several thousand scrools, the books are not few. However the world has few famed people, all because they have no talents, not because they have no books. Péi [Inspector of] Jì province, Hé [Yàn] and Dèng [Yáng] two Secretariat Documnters, and my hometown’s Minister of Ceremonies Liú and Yǐngchuān brothers, because Lù was endowed with heavenly talent, understood the ways of yīn and yáng, the situations of good and bad fortune, all obtaining their origins, therefore waded after his flow, also did not criticize, always submitting to him. Lù himself said that with these five gentlemen together conversing caused people’s vitality and spirit to purify and develop, at twilight not resting or sleeping. From these on down, only in day time they wished to sleep. Also he himself said in the world there was nothing he desired, he only wished to be able to with Lǔ Zǐshèn, Zhèng Pízào, Jìn Bǔyǎn, Sòng Zǐwéi, Chǔ Gāngōng, Wèi Shíshēn together ascend the Língtái, unroll the Shéntù, walk the Sānguāng, understand calamities and strangeness, divine with yarrow and tortoise, determine doubts, and he would have no regrets. I Chén not due to ignorance and shallowness was able to take advantage of the close relation of shared womb, repeatedly with Lù had consultations and discussions. Reach to distinguishing human character, analyzing good and bad, discussing near meanings, toying with crooked and straight, clumsy and not skilled. If laying out the canons of the Huáng and Xī, raising the statements of Wén and Kǒng, revolving and flowing the five planets, weaving the three degrees, mouth full and voice overflowing, subtle speech as wind gathering, like looking up to gaze to flying geese, floating on so and disappearing away, like looking down to overlook a deep creek, somber so and vanishing; pressuring to attack and criticize [him], and one lost its extremities; wishing to receive study and seek ways, searching was bewildered and confused, none not wringing wrists and hammering fingers, chasing echoes and ever sighing. In the past Jīng Fáng though was skilled in stalk divination and divining winds, in the end he did not escape disaster, but Lù himself knew at forty-eight he would perish, and could be said to be an enlightened sage that surpassed [Jīng Fáng]. Also Jīng Fáng’s eyes saw factions of unexpected slander, ears hear the sounds of black flies, his to-the-face remonstrations were not followed, and yet the roads were crowded. Lù resided in the time of Wèi and Jìn, hid his wisdom with simplicity, his rolling up or unfolding was timely, ingenuity not see and sought, stupidity not seen and bequeathed, and it can be seen his knowledge of the minute was more profound [than Jīng Fáng]. Jīng Fáng above did not measure the master of ten thousand chariots, below did not avoid the followers of flattery, wishing to with Heaven’s signs and vast patterns profit the state and profit himself, was destitute and could not be employed, in the end entrapped in great punishment, and could be said to be a dried up turtle’s remaining wisdom, the last light of a grease candle, how is it not a tragedy! The world’s people often believe Lù of the class of Jīng Fáng, I Chén do not dare agree. As for looking up to examine the stars, looking down to determine good and bad fortune, distant times not erring in years, recent times not erring in days and moons, I Chén believe the ingenuity of Gān and Shí were not his superior. In guessing the covered and naming objects, sight techniques flowing speed, Dōngfāng Shuò did not surpass him. In watching bone forms and investigating noble and lowly, viewing facial expression and knowing life and death, Xǔ Fù and Táng Jǔ did not exceed him. If in scanning wind and aura and exploring subtle signs, listening to bird calls and knowing spiritual pivots, also he was exceptional out of the whole generation. Supposing Lù had reached out in office and become a leading chancellor and powerful miniter, fertile fat flowing to enlighten the era, flowery splendor arranged in bamboo and silk, it would have caused the hidden to all be verified, secret speech to not be omitted, after a thousand ages, those with the way would certainly believe in and honor him, those without the way would certainly doubt and suspect him; the believers with ingenuity suprass authenticity, ingenuity with divinity unite, obtaining divinity there is nothing that confuses. A regret Lù’s talent was long but life short, his ways noble but time lowly, the close worthy but the distant hidden, not declared by good historians, but by his lowly younger brother witnessed and narrated, both personally ignorant and muddled, and also coming from far away, the recorded divination matters, though I do not know the base hexagrams, I’ve sorted and arranged the remainders, out of ten obtaining two. As for looking up to observe the planets, seaking of Wèi and Jìn’s rise and fall, and the five phasing floting and sinking, warfare disasters and strangeness, out of ten not reaching one. Without a source how does one achieve a river? Without a root how does one hang down glorious flowers? Though autumn crysanthemums can be impressive, they do not match spring flowers, overlooking writings fervent, in prostration using sorrow and shame. Future gentlemen, by fortune use the high and enlightened to seek his meanings. Formerly Mèng [Inspector of] Jīngzhōu was Ranked Personnel Manager of Agriculture, once asked my late elder brother, that in the past Dōngfáng Shuò in guessing the covered obtained what hexagrams to know it was a gecko and lizard two things. My late elder brother at this secured hexagram and produced signs, statements described intertwining, subtle meanings heroically rising, changs mutually advancing, uniting at Chénsì, dividing dragon and snake, each causing there to have reason. After the speaking ended, Mèng Jīngzhōu for a long time sighed and said: ‘I have heard your discussion, its vitality soaring and leaping, almost wishing to fly and scatter, how can it be as broad and deep as this!'”
- Your Servant Sōngzhī notes: Chén’s mentioned same hometown’s Minister of Ceremonies Liú was speaking of Liú Shí. Chén compiled Lù’s biography, [Liú] Shí at the time was Minsiter of Ceremonies, Yǐngchuān then was Shí’s younger brother Zhì. Shí and Zhì both for classicist learning were famed, no ability to explain them. Shìyǔ appraises Shí as extensive in debate, but not enough to be in the sort as Péi and Hé. Also, note Lù himself said ‘my life was on yín,’ then he in Jiàn’ān Fifteenth Year  was born. Reaching to Zhèngshǐ Ninth Year  he should have been thirty-nine, but the biography says thirty-six, and in Zhèngyuán Third Year  died, and should have been forty-seven, the biography says forty-eight, all not in agreement. Recently there was a Yán Xùbó, named Zuǎn, investigating the sublte and understanding objects, having a good historian’s air. He for Heaven’s Under mended the lost, and I dare have his report arranged to the left sheet, all followed and received from great men and former sages, sufficient to be selected and beleived, hoping to avoid empty and false ridicule:
- Once the Minsiter of Ceremonies Liú spoken of in Chén’s biography said: “Lù first meeting with reputation was due to for a neighboring woman divining a lost ox, saying it should be in a west side destitute wall, hanging head facing up. Instructed the woman to go look among the various burial mounds, and indeed found the ox. The woman because of this believed he had hidden the ox himself, reported to the officials to investigate the case, and so was known for his technique knowledge, and therefore Péi Jìzhōu then heard of it.” Also said: “In the road there was a petty man who lost his wife, Lù for him divined, instructing him to tomorrow morning at Dōngyáng city gate watch for someone carrying a pig and with him fight. Doing as said, the pig ran away, and they together chased it. The pig entered someone’s house, breaking the owner’s pot, the woman from inside the pot came out.” Marquis Liú spoke of very many of this sort, what Chén recorded was only one to two out of ten. Marquis Liú says: “Chén was a Filial and Incorrupt candidate.”
- Internal Documents Director Scribe Jǐ Xuánlóng was Lù’s fellow townsman, saying: “[When] Lù was in town, once he watched a distant neighbor, the owner suffered repeated fires. Lù divined, and instructed him to tomorrow at the south street go up to spy, that there would be a horn scarf scholar, harnessing a black ox old carriage. He must invite and keep him to serve as guest and host, and by this it would eliminate it [the fires]. So he followed Lù’s warnings. The scholar had an urgency and asked to leave, did not listen, and so was kept for the night, his thoughts were greatly not at ease, believing it was ploting against him. The host left and went inside [his own room], the scholar then drew saber and went out the gates, leaning between two firewood piles, and leaning and standing he fell asleep. Suddenly there was a small thing directly coming by in front of him, like a beast, in hits hand holding fire, and also mouth blowing it. The scholar was alarmed, raised saber and chopped, exactly cutting its waist, looking at it then it was a fox. From then on the owner no longer had [fire] disasters.”
- Former Chángguǎng Administrator Chén Chéngyòu orally received City Gate Colonel Huà Chángjùn report, saying: “In the past when his father was Qīnghé Administrator, he summoned Lù to be a scribe, Jùn and he were both young and small, later as they were of the same hometown, he thus gave him special kindness and attention, always with him shared carriage in going about, all understanding his affairs. What he said that was verified was three times as in his biography. Chén both had little talent, and also his age was small, and also he was mostly at the hometown, and therefore he was all the more not detailed. Chén in serving in office reached provincial registrar and department attending official, at the beginning of Tàikāng he died.”
- Jùn also said: “Lù’s divinations also were not all correct, out of ten he got seven to eight, I Jùn asked him the reason, Lù said: ‘The reasoning is without mistake, the one who comes to divine sometimes in speech is not enough to explain the facts, and therefore causes this.’ City Gate [Colonel] Huà’s wife was Wèi’s former Excellency of Works Zhuō prefectur’s Excellency Lù’s daughter, obtained illness, and for continuous years did not recover. Huà’s family at the time resided below the west city wall in Nánchán borough, three barns to its southeast. Lù divined that there would be a master from the east coming who himself said he could treat it, and to then listen to and test him, and they certainly would be able obtain his strength. Later in no time there was a southern campaign and a stable hand who was supposed to fill in as an armored soldier came to visit Excellency Lù, claiming to be able to treat his daughter. His excellency at once memorialized to request to keep him, specially sending his son to lead him to the Huà clan to treat the illness, first using powder drugs, later again using pill treatments, soon there was an effect, at once memorialized to remove his stablehand status and have him fill in the Grand Physicians.”
- Also said: “When following Lù’s father to Lìcáo, there was a garrison civilian under his government that caught a deer, that morning he walked back, saw fur and blood where someone had stolen the deer, and came to visit the office to report to Lù, Lù for him divined and said: ‘The thief is in your east alley’s third family. You directly go in front of the gates, watch for when there are no people, take a roof tile, secretly dig out the the house’s east head’s seventh beam, place the tile beneath it, and in no more than tomorrow’s meal time, they will themselves send it back to you.’ That night, the thief’s father suffered a headache, strongly hot and bothersome pain, and so also came to visit Lù for divination. Lù for him expelled evil spirits, and the thief all confessed. Lù told him carry the skin and meat and secretly return it to its former place, and the illness would on its own heal. Then he secretly instructed the deer owner to go take it, and also told him to go to where he was before and lift the beam to remove the tile. The thief’s father’s illness ended. Also among the Commandant Internal Manager Scribes there was someone who lost something, Lù had him in the next morning go look outside the temble gates, there he would meet one man, have him point to heaven and draw on earth, raise hands in four directions, and on his own he would obtain it. In the evening he indeed obtained his former thing.”