[Zhūgě] Zhān appellation Sīyuǎn. Jiànxīng Twelfth Year , [Zhūgě] Liàng set out against Wǔgōng, and with his elder brother [Zhūgě] Jǐn wrote letter that said: “Zhān now is already eight years old, intelligent and lovable, but due to his early maturity, one is afraid he will not become a weighty vessel.” Aged seventeen years, he was bestowed a princess, appointed Cavalry Commandant. The next year be became Feather Forest Internal Cadet General, was frequently promoted to Shooting Sound Colonel, Attendant Internal, Secretariat Deputy Director, added Military Master General.
Zhān was skilled in calligraphy and painting, strong in memory and recall, the Shǔ people in recollection of Liàng, all loved his talent and cleverness. At every Court meeting if there was a fine matter of good government, even if it was not by Zhān established or instigated, the common people would all tell one another: “It was Lord [Zhū]gě’s doing.” Therefore his beautiful reputation and overflowing praise had its surpassing of his reality.
Jǐngyào Fourth Year , he became Acting Capital Protector General of the Guard, and with Supporting the State General-in-Chief Marquis of Nánxiāng Dǒng Jué both judged Secretariat affairs. Sixth Year  winter, Wèi Campaigning West General Dèng Ài attacked Shǔ, from Yīnpíng by Jǐnggǔ road on the side entered. Zhān commanded the various armies to reach Fú and stationed, the front lines were defeated, retreated and returned, stationing at Miánzhú. [Dèng] Ài sent letter to entice Zhān that said: “If you surrender I will certainly memorialize you to be King of Lángyé.” Zhān was furious, and beheaded [Dèng] Ài’s envoy. Therefore they battled, he was greatly defeated, and on the battlefield died, at the time aged thirty-seven years. The army all scattered, and [Dèng] Ài quickly reached Chéngdū.
Zhān’s eldest son Shàng, with Zhān together died. (1) The next son Jīng and Pān’s son Xiǎn and others, in Xiánxī Inaugural year  inwardly moved to Hédōng. (2)
- (1) Gān Bǎo states: Though Zhān’s knowledge was not enough to rescue from danger, his valor not enough to resist the enemy, yet he was able to outside not betray the state, inside not alter from his father’s will, his loyalty and filial piety preserved.
- Huāyáng Guózhì states: Shàng sighed and said: “We father and son carry the state’s heavy favor, to not have earlier beheaded Huáng Hào, so that it led to downfall and defeat, what use is living?” Therefore he charged into the Wèi army and died.
- (2) According to the Zhūgě clan registers it says: Jīng appellation Xíngzōng.
- Jìn Tàishǐ Qǐjū zhù records the Imperial Order: “Zhūgě Liàng at Shǔ, exhausted his heart and strength, his son Zhān faced disaster and died righteously, number one of the good Under Heaven.” His grandson Jīng, due to talent became an official, later becoming Méi Magistrate.
- Secretariat Deputy Director Shān Tāo’s Qǐshì states: “Méi Magistrate Zhūgě Jīng, his grandfather Liàng, encountered Hàn in chaos and divided, father and son were at Shǔ, though not able to attain Heaven’s Mandate, devoted all their heart in service. Jīng in governing Méi is repeatedly praised, and I your servant believe it is appropriate to have him fill vacancy in the East Palace Residents, to enlighten the reasoning of serving men, and complement the discussions of Liáng and Yì.” Jīng’s position reached Jiāng Province Inspector.