Sūn Hé appellation Zǐxiào was [Sūn] Lǜ’s younger brother. When young as his mother Wáng had favor he met with love, at fourteen years, for him was installed a palace guard, sending Internal Documents Director Kàn Zé to teach him writing and art. He enjoyed study and subordinate servicemen, deeply meeting with praise. Chìwū Fifth Year, enthroned as Heir-Apparent, at the time his years twenty-nine. Kàn Zé became Grand Tutor, Xuē Zōng became Junior Tutor, and Cài Yǐng, Zhāng Chún, Fēng Fǔ, Yán Wéi and others all followed as attendants. (1)
- (1) Wúshū states: Hé when young had exceptional wisdom and thinking, and therefore [Sūn] Quán particularly loved and favored him, always having him in his left and right, of the clothes and ritual order engraved baubles and rare treasures bestowed on him, of the various sons none could compare. He enjoyed literary study, was good at riding and shooting, followed teachers in experiencing scholarship, had refined knowledge and intelligence, respected teachers, delighted in people. Every time [Cài] Yǐng and the rest met in Court to advance congratulations, Hé always subdued intentions, happy to care for them. In discussing and investigating meanings of the classics, summarizing and examining right and wrong, he consulted the Court ministers, investigating merits and enacting ability, to understand merits and drawbacks, each having categorization. Later Zhūgě Yī feigned rebellion to entice Wèi officer Zhūgě Dàn, [Sūn] Quán secretly hid army to wait for him. Hé, because [Sūn] Quán was exposed outside, and also as battle was a vicious affair, always was worried and sorrowful, and no longer gathered together for drink and food, repeatedly sent up remonstrants, warning to hold to caution, and attend to secure victory, [Sūn] Quán returned, and only afterward [did Sūn Hé] feel at ease.
- Zhāng Chún appellation Yuánjī was [Zhāng] Dūn’s son.
- Wú lù states: Chún when young was strict in upholding conduct, studied widely with talent exceptional, cutting in inquiry and quick in answer, look and demeanor impressive. Appointed Cadet Internal, filled vacancy as Guǎngdé Magistrate, in governance had unusual merits, selected out to be Heir-Apparent’s Assisting Righteousness Commandant.
At the time managers tended to only use writing to inquire on matters, Hé believed that treacherous and rash people would take advantage of matters to evade intentions, to create disastrous hearts, it could not be long-term, and memorialized it was appropriate to end it.
Also Regional Commander Liú Bǎo reported Companion Dīng Yàn, [Dīng] Yàn also reported [Liú] Bǎo, Hé said to [Dīng] Yàn: “To have civil and military ability in affairs, how many people can there be? To because of a rift to frame and despise, plotting to endanger and harm one another, how can that be fortunate?” Therefore both sides resolved it, causing them to be generous. He often said that the present age’s servicemen should speak of cultivation and focus on study, investigate and practice shooting and driving, to go through worldly affairs, and to merely make friends and play games to harm affairs and enterprise, was not to take initiative. Later the various ministers attended in a feast, the discussion reached to gaming, he believed: “It hinders affairs and wastes days and yet is without benefit in use, toils vitality and weakens thought and yet in the end is without any accomplishment, not how to advance virtue or cultivate enterprise, or accumulate achievements. Moreover the ambitious serviceman loves time and begrudges energy, the noble man admires the large, a high mountain in vision and conduct, and is disgraced by and oppose the lesser. That Heaven and Earth are forever, and people reside between, has the analogy of a white steed passing a crack, a year of tooth as a sunset, glory and splendor does not repeat. Overall what is suffered, is that human feeling cannot be cut off, to truly be able to cut off desires without benefit in order to server the way of virtue and righteousness, to abandon the not urgent business to cultivate the foundations of achievement and enterprise; this fame and conduct, how would it not be excellent? Human feeling yet cannot be without amusement, the good of amusement, also is found in drink and feast and zither and book and shooting and driving, why need there be gaming, to afterward be joyous?” Then he ordered the attending seated of eight people, to each write arguments to discuss it. Therefore Internal Documents Companion Wéi Yào withdrew and memorialized a discussion, and Hé showed it to the guest retainers. At the time Cài Yǐng enjoyed games, and of the installed officials some learned from him, and therefore [Sūn Hé] by this mocked him.
Afterward lady Wáng and the princess Quán had a rift. [Sūn] Quán was once lying ill, Hé sacrificed in the temple, Hé’s consort’s father’s younger brother Zhāng Xiū lived near the temple, and invited Hé as he passed his residence. Princess Quán sent someone to spy, and took advantage to report that the Heir-Apparent was not in the temple, focusing on plotting with his consort’s family, and also reported lady Wáng on seeing the Ascended lying ill had a pleased expression. [Sūn] Quán because of this was furious, the lady [Wáng] in anxiety died, and Hé’s favor somewhat decreased, and he feared being deposed. The King of Lǔ [Sūn] Bà’s coveting increased in extremity, Lù Xùn, Wú Càn, Gù Tán and others repeatedly explained the distinction of primary and lesser [sons], that the reasoning could not seized away. Quán Jì, Yáng Zhú were the King of Lǔ [Sūn] Bà’s supporter faction, their slanders daily increased. [Wú] Càn therefore was sent down to prison and executed, [Gù] Tán was exiled to Jiāo province. [Sūn] Quán was flooded with persuasions for successive years, (1) and later therefore imprisoned Hé. Therefore Elite Cavalry General Zhū Jù, Secretariat Documents Deputy-Director Qū Huǎng led the various officers and officials with muddy heads and self bound, to for continuous days visit the watchtower to plead for Hé. [Sūn] Quán ascended Báijué watchtower and saw, extremely hated it, and reprimanded [Zhū] Jù and [Qū] Huǎng and the rest for without reason causing trouble. [Sūn] Quán wished to depose Hé and enthrone [Sūn] Liàng, Wúnán Commander Chén Zhèng and Wǔyíng Commander Chén Xiàng sent up letter, speaking the example of Jìn Xiàn-gōng killing Shēnshēng, enthroning Xīqí, and Jìn state was disturbed. Also [Zhū] Jù and [Qū] Huǎng firmly remonstrated without end. [Sūn] Quán was greatly furious, clan executed [Chén] Zhèng and [Chén] Xiàng, [Zhū] Jù and [Qū] Huǎng were bound into the palace hall, flogged a hundred strokes, (2) and went so far as to exile Hé to Gùzhāng, the various managers in connection to remonstrants that were executed were in the tens. The masses all believed it wrong. (3)
- (1) Yīn Jī’s Tōngyǔ states: Previously when [Sūn] Quán enthroned Hé as Heir-Apparent, he yet enfeoffed Bà as King of Lǔ, and at the first appointment het had them share Palace Residences, the ritual order was not separated. The various excellencies discussed, believing the Heir-Apparent and state Kings high and low have their ordering, the ritual order should be different, and therefore they divided palace and separated officials, and yet a rift between sides opened. From the attendant guest retainers forming into two sides, enemy factions suspecting and betraying, growing to reach the chief ministers. Chancellor Lù Xùn, General-in-Chief Zhūgě Kè, Minister of Ceremonies Gù Tán, Elite Cavalry General Zhū Jù, Kuàijī Administrator Téng Yìn, Commander-in-Chief Shī Jì, Secretariat Documenter Dīng Mì, and others esteemed ritual in conduct, supporting the Heir-Apparent. Elite Cavalry General Bù Zhì, Defending South General Lǚ Dài, Marshal-in-Chief Quán Cóng, Left General Lǚ Jù, Internal Documents Director Sūn Hóng and others attached to the King of Lǔ. Inside and outside the officials and generals and chief ministers and whole country was divided in the middle. [Sūn] Quán worried about this, and said to Attendant Internal Sūn Jùn: “Junior relatives are not harmonious, minister subordinates are divided, there will be the disaster of the Yuán clan, to be laughed at by the world Under Heaven. Only one person can be enthroned, how can there not be chaos?” Therefore he had plan to change the succession.
- Your Servant Sōngzhī believes: Yuán Shào and Liú Biǎo said [Yuán] Shàng and [Liú] Cóng were worthier and originally had intention to pass on to posterity, different from Sūn Quán having already enthroned Hé and yet further favoring Bà, the connection of producing chaos, came from forming family disaster, comparing to Yuán and Liú, the foolishness and perverseness is more extreme. Bù Zhì for virtue and judgment was widely praised, was Wú’s good servant, and yet flattered and attached to Bà, serving the same as Yáng Zhú, why? Hé was already the standard position, the primary and lesser were divided and settled, even if [Sūn Hé’s] talent and virtue was not special, yet by righteousness he should not form faction with the lesser [son], all the more when Bà truly was without fame, and Hé was the established successor? Those improper people, how could their whole body be without any goodness? It is only that if one that is not good, all the beauties are lost. If [Bù] Zhì really had this matter, then the rest would not be worth observing! Lǚ Dài’s and Quán Cóng’s sort probably are not worth discussing.
- (2) Wúlì states: [Qū] Huǎng entered, and verbally remonstrated saying: “The Heir-Apparent is benevolent and enlightened, prominently heard in the Four Seas. Now the three regions as a tripod stand, truly it is not appropriate to shake the Heir-Apparent, to disturb the hearts of the masses. May Your Majesty slightly give down sagely thought, even if I your old servant dies, yet I would live.” He knocked head to the point of shedding blood, words strong without yielding. [Sūn] Quán would not accept [Qū] Huǎng’ words, expelled him back to his hometown. When Sūn Hào succeeded the throne, Imperial Order said: “Former Deputy-Director Qū Huǎng had ambition to rectify the State Altars, loyally remonstrated and lost self, enfeoff [Qū] Huǎng’s son Xù as Dōngyáng precinct marquis, younger brothers Gàna nd Gōng as Establishing Righteousness Commandants.” Xù later also reached Secretariat Documents Deputy-Director.
- Huǎng was a Rǔnán man. See Hú Chōng’s Dáwèn.
- Wú shū states: Zhāng Chún also exhaustively spoke in extreme remonstrance, [Sūn] Quán imprisoned him, and then executed him in the market.
- (3) Wúshū states: [Sūn] Quán was lying ill, his thoughts tended toward awareness, and he wished to summon Hé back to enthrone him, princess Quán and Sūn Jùn, Sūn Hóng, and others firmly resisted this, so it stopped.
Tàiyuán Second Year  Standard Moon, enfeoffed Hé as King of Nányáng, sending him to Chángshā. (1) Fourth Moon, [Sūn] Quán died, Zhūgě Kè maintained the government. [Zhūgě] Kè was Hè’s consort Zhāng’s maternal uncle. The consort sent Yellow Gate Chén Qiān to Jiànyè to send up memorial to the Inner Palace, and also sent inquiries to [Zhūgě] Kè. When [Chén Qiān] was about to leave, [Zhūgě] Kè said to [Chén] Qiān: “Tell the consort for me, that in time I will help the other.” This speech leaked. Also [Zhūgě] Kè had intention to move the capital, ordered repairs of Wǔchāng Palace, among the civilians some said he wished to invite [Sūn] Hé. When [Zhūgě] Kè was executed, Sūn Jùn because of this seized Hé’s seal and ribbon, relocated him to Xīndū, and also sent envoy to bestow death. Hé with his consort Zhāng took leave, Zhāng said: “In good and bad fortune we should follow one another, in the end I will not live alone.” She also killed herself, the whole country grieved.
- (1) Wú shū states: Hé went to Chángshā, on the way passing Wúhú, there was a magpie nest on the sail mast, the former officials hearing this all were anxious, believing the mast tip would collapse, not a sign of being long at ease. Someone said: “The Quècháo ‘Magpie Nest’ poem had the saying: ‘Amassed conduct accumulated achievements to reach noble rank,’ now the King is of utmost virtue and abundant conduct, again receives a state territory, is it the spirits by this informing intentions to unaware people?”
When Sūn Xiū was enthroned, enfeoffed Hé’s son Hào as Wūchéng marquis, from Xīndū to his home state. [Sūn] Xiū died, [Sūn] Hào succeeded and ascended, that year posthumously titling his father Hé as Wén Huángdì “Civil Imperial Emperor”, changed burial to Mínglíng “Brilliant Tomb,” installing park village of two hundred families, a magistrate and deputy providing administration. The year after next Standard Moon, again divided from Wú prefecture and Dānyáng nine counties to form Wúxīng prefecture, capital Wūchéng, installing an Administrator, to in the four seasons provide sacrifices. Managers memorialized saying it was appropriate to establish a temple in the capital city, Bǎodǐng Second Year  Seventh Moon, sent observing chief craftsman Xuē Xǔ to build and establish a hall, called as Qīngmiào “Pure Temple.” Twelfth Moon, sent observing Chancellor Mèng Rén, Minister of Ceremonies Yáo Xìn, and others to prepare bureaucrat Internal army infantry and cavalry of two thousand men, with spirit carriage law chariot, to the east welcoming the soul at Mínglíng. [Sūn] Hào summoned and met [Mèng] Rén, personally bowing and sending off in the courtyard. (1) The spirit carriage was about to arrive, sent Chancellor Lù Kǎi to present three sacrificial animals to sacrifice in the nearby suburbs, [Sūn] Hào at Jīnchéng’s outside in the open slept. The next day, he looked out and bowed outside the east gate. The next day, he bowed at the temple and sacrificed, sobbing in grief. Every seven days there were three sacrifices, performers day and night providing music. Managers memorialized saying “sacrifices should not wish to be numerous, if numerous then it is insulting, it is appropriate to use ritual to restrict emotion.” Therefore afterward it ended. (2)
- (1) Wú shū states: When [Mèng] Rén returned, central sent hand-written Imperial Orders, day and night in succession, offering inquiries on the soul spirit’s rising and resting and moving and stopping. A shaman reported seeing Hé’s bedding and clothing, color and expression like an ordinary day, Hào was grieved and happy and shed tears, summoning all the Excellencies and Ministers and Secretariat Documenters to visit the watchtower gates below to receive bestowments.
- (2) Wú lì states: Hé’s four sons: Hào, Dé, Qiān, Jùn. When Sūn Xiū succeeded the throne, enfeoffed Dé as Qiántáng marquis, Qiān Yǒng’ān marquis, Jùn appointed Cavalry Commandant. Hào was at Wǔchāng, Wúxīng’s Shī Dàn because the people could not bear the commands, gathered over ten thousand people, captured Qiān, and was about to reach Mòlíng, wishing to enthrone him. Not yet reaching thirty lǐ they halted, selected an auspicious day, [Shī] Dàn sent envoy with Qiān’s Imperial Order on Dīng Gù and Zhūgě Jìng. [Zhūgě] Jìng at once beheaded the envoy. [Shī] Dàn therefore advanced to arrive at Jiǔlǐ. [Dīng] Gù and [Zhūgě] Jìng went out to strike and greatly defeated him. [Shī] Dàn’s troops were unclothed and without armor, on overlooking the battle lines they all split and scattered. [Sūn] Qiān alone sat in the carriage, and therefore was captured alive. [Dīng] Gù did not dare kill him, and reported the situation to [Sūn] Hào. [Sūn] Hào poisoned him, mothers and children all died. [Sūn] Jùn was Zhāng Chéng’s daughter’s son, intelligent and eloquent, was praised by the far and near, [Sūn] Hào also killed him.